21st Century Cures Act Information Blocking Rule: Implementation and Implications for Family Planning Programs
This webinar will provide family planning programs with an overview of the 21st Century Cures Act information blocking rule, which prohibits actors from blocking the exchange of electronic health information (eHI) and seeks to increase the ease and choices available for patients to access their data. Speakers will provide an overview of definitions and exceptions that are critical to understanding and complying with the rule; references will be provided. Speakers will also review the implications for adolescent family planning information and other examples. The session will conclude with a discussion of specific policies, both at the state- and program- levels and how those may be implemented.
- Jillian Maccini, MBA, RHNTC Title X TTA Provider
- Abigail English, JD, Legal & Policy Consultant in Adolescent & Young Adult Health Director, Center for Adolescent Health & the Law
By the end of the webinar, participants will be able to:
- Provide a high-level overview of the 21st Cures Act Information Blocking Rule, including whether it pertains to family planning programs
- Describe at least two of the exceptions to the Information Blocking Rule
- Identify at least two steps or actions important to complying with the Information Blocking Rule.